How to draw braids

I draw two long lines with the HB pencil. They are the rough borders of the braid.
Outlining the borders of the braid
Let’s apply the principles of creating a real braid to the drawing. A braid consists of three long, interlacing segments. I draw two of them (the first on the left-hand side, and the third on the right-hand side) in the upper part of the outline.
The remaining, central element forms automatically—it is located between the segments that you've just drawn.
Drawing the first segments
I draw the extension of the second segment; now it overlaps the first segment. 
Adding the third segment
I draw the extension of the third segment of the braid. 
You can use a dashed line to visualize the way the elements are following and overlapping one another.
Adding the extension of the first segment
I draw the extension of the first segment of the braid.
Extending the second element
I repeat the action, continuing the braid downwards.
Continuing the pattern
At this stage, the pattern becomes predictable and easy to repeat. 
In the image below, you can see a distinctive zigzag line going through the center of the braid; I’ve marked it with green just for your reference.
The pattern of the braid
I complete approximately two-thirds of the braid’s shape, filling it with the familiar pattern.
You can make your braid perfectly even or slightly irregular; allowing some imperfections may help to achieve a more natural look.
Filling the shape of the braid with the pattern
The braid becomes thinner in its lower part, so I make the remaining elements slightly narrower.
Completing the shape of the braid
The drawing looks like a flat pattern; it’s time to transform it into a realistic pencil sketch.
I erase all the unnecessary graphite lines, and then mark the darkest places with accurate hatching, using the HB pencil.
Applying the graphite hatching
I apply a layer of the HB hatching to each small element of the braid. The pencil lines should follow the contours, imitating hair.
Please note that each element has a highlight, so don’t shade the middle parts too much.
Accenting the shadows
I increase the contrast in the drawing, darkening the shadows and accentuating the zigzag pattern of the braid. A 3B pencil is a perfect tool for that.
I intentionally leave the top and bottom parts of the drawing almost untouched, so our braid blends with the background, and the sketch looks harmonious. 
Working on the contrast and intencity of shadows
With the HB pencil, I soften the highlights, making them more grey than white. 
To make the drawing more credible, I add some stray hairs with the HB pencil. You can also use a sharp point of your eraser to make the light, wispy hairs.
Adding the stray hairs and completing the drawing

Post a Comment

0 Comments